Yakiv Tsvietinskyi Double Quartet
About: Yakiv Tsvietinskyi Double Quartet is a collaboration between two traditional ensemble units: a jazz and a string quartet. Instead of giving one of the ensembles a secondary, accompanying role, their collab aims to synthesise both these genres’ worlds and to erase the boundaries between classical music and jazz. The concept of the quartet is not about adding modern rhythms to classical music; rather, it is about demonstrating the inseparability of musical genres and eras.
Yakiv Tsvietinskyi is a trumpet player, composer, and teacher at the Academy of Music in Dnipro. In addition to his Quartet and Double Quartet groups, he collaborates with many Ukrainian and foreign musicians. He was a Fulbright Fellow from 2016 to 2018 and a fellow of the Yamaha Gulf FZE 2015 programme. He received the DownBeat Student Music Award in 2017 and 2018.
International performances and experience:
- 2015 – Performance of ‘On Mass’ at the EFG London Jazz Festival, UK, London, Roundhouse
- 2017, 2018 – Concert with the WMU Jazz Orchestra at the Elmhurst Collegiate Jazz Festival in Elmhurst IL, USA
- 2017 – ‘Betty Carter’s Jazz Ahead’ in the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington D.C., USA
- 2018 – ‘Classical Gospel Jazz’ event at the Gilmore Keyboard Festival in Kalamazoo MI, USA
- 2019 – Concert at Letnia Fiesta Jazzowa in Szczecin, Poland
- 2019 – Performance of ‘Quests’ during the fourth Ukrainian Week in Gdansk, Poland, with the Polish Baltic Philharmonic in cooperation with the Ukrainian Institute
- 2018 – Danish Jazz Days in Dnipro
- 2018 – The Jazz Brigade & Sylwester Ostrowski at Jazz on the Dnipro festival